2.24.2008

Toe Up Sock with After Thought Heel with Irene Tomchick

Socks - Toe up with an After Thought Heel by Irene Tomchick -
Sat April 5 9am - Noon

These toe up socks, with an afterthought heel are done on a circular needle. Knitting on a circular needle means no dropping one of those double pointed needles, and it allows you do more than one sock at a time, thus eliminating the tedious job of measuring or counting rows to be sure both socks are the same size. The afterthought heel is done after the foot and leg of the sock are completed. There is no 'turning of the heel'. These heels are also completely replaceable when they wear out. I have one pair that is now on it's 3rd set of heels and the rest of the sock is just now starting to wear out. These heels fit very well.
We will be making a child's sock and will be using a 2mm 32 or 40" circular needle and 4ply sock yarn. We will provide the yarn and the needles will be available to buy at the retreat if you don't already have that size. It doesn't matter if we use plain colors or variegated colors.This class with be the morning only 9 am - noon - Irene will be at the retreat and available to help later if needed.

Irene Tomchick I have been knitting socks for over 50 years, but since learning how to do these toe up socks I have not looked back at the previous methods. My mom taught me to knit when I was a child as I really wanted some blue striped socks, so she told me if I wanted them I could learn how to make them. I still remember those socks. Three different colors of blue. I don't know how well they fit, but I know I wore them out.There was never a time in my life that I didn't have something on the needles, from lace doilies to Mary Maxim sweaters and anything in between. My passion has become socks, knit to fit hard to fit feet.I have always been a crafter as well as a knitter, and at this point in my life I am involved in making handcrafted greeting cards, beadwork and some sewing. I am also a machine knitter, but prefer to handknit. There aren't enough hours in the day to complete all the things I want to do.

No comments: